Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Food Storage

I'm very frustrated with my food storage. I clearly need help in this area because I just had to throw away about $600 worth of food because it was very outdated.

I'm not good with rotating things in my food storage and I know they say to put things into your food storage that you will use, but I can't store fresh Veggies or Meat and that is what we eat.

I've thought about just buying the freeze dried tins of food that last for 30 years. But that is crazy expensive. I guess I can buy a little each month.

What are your thoughts? What do you have in your food storage? What are the musts? How much wheat should we have stored? How do you store your food? Give me your run down.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I need some serious help in the food storage area. My family would seriously die within a few days, that's how prepared I am... Good luck!

jewels said...

I so need help. I am going to have to do a little at a time.

Chris 'n Leah said...

We've tailored our eating habits around food storage. We do eat fresh vegetables, and we don't have a solution for that. But we also eat a lot of pastas, rice, beans, etc in the form of casseroles, and that enables us to use the many boxes of those commodities in our storage. In addition, casseroles enable our use of canned soups (e.g. cream of chicken), canned vegetables, etc. We eat burritos, taco salad, etc a lot, so that enables us to store/use salsa, olives, spanish rice, refried beans, etc. We eat homemade pizzas, which enables use of stored spaghetti sauce, pineapple, olives, deli meats, etc. A few years back we bought a massive chest freezer which enables stock piling of frozen cheeses, butter, deli meats, juice, milk, bread, etc (note we also bought a generator in case the power goes out we would have power to our home and our chest freezer). Speaking of bread, Leah makes a lot of homemade bread and baked goodies, which enables use of our stored wheat, honey, milk, and coconut oil. We also store things like choc chips, jello, pudding and choc milk - gotta have comfort foods in an emergency. As for storing our food, we bought two of those gigantic Shelf Reliance rotating storage racks for all our canned goods. And we built shelving to hold all our boxes of #10 cans and buckets. We also have a storage of non-food items such as TP, soap, shampoo, laundery detergent, dryer sheets, ziplock baggies, deodorant, etc, that we store on shelves. We still have a ways to go, but we feel so good about where we're at and from where we've come. Hope this helps. - Chris.