Thursday, March 26, 2009

Christmas and Gift Giving

I've been trying to clean out my GroupWise for the last week because I spent months not using it and when I turned it back on it downloaded old and new messages. Anyhow, a message that I found in the mess was an email that had come in, in the middle of January but I hadn't seen it until tonight. This email was from a family member thanking me for the Christmas gifts and to explain why their family doesn't do extended family gift giving. It's two and a half months late but I did respond to her.

After sending her the email I thought it would be good to post a little about Our family's beliefs on gift giving during the holidays because I've had many people question and comment on how we do Christmas. I know I could hold off and post this closer to Christmas this year BUT I'm so bad at posting anyway that if I wait, I'll forget so here it is, nine months early :-)

Also to make it easier...I'm going to just paste what I wrote her so you'll be reading a response so it's a little different then if I had written it just for a post. (did that make sense???)

Please know that NO ONE in our family feels obligated to send you guys or anyone else Christmas gifts. Our family is different and we handle Christmas and other holiday's different then many others. Kimball and I don't exchange Christmas gifts because we find for us that we want to take the money to spread the joy and enjoy the true spirit of Christmas and give. We have taught our kids from birth that we don't do the "I want for Christmas", instead they have been taught to say and say "I think ............ would enjoy this" We have tried very hard, even though it's difficult with the world saying differently, to get our kids to see and feel the true meaning of Christmas. Giving is much better than receiving.

Christmas has become something that it shouldn't by many people. They make it about what they want and use Christmas as an excuse to get things they want or think they need. People use Christmas as a way to justify spending "more" or "extra" on items.

This is also another reason we started the "experience" Christmas'. No gifts for the kids at all. We still have fun gifting to other people but we give no gifts to the kids. We go on a trip as a family. We spend time with each other and connect. These are the best Christmas' because there isn't any thoughts about buying gifts for the kids. We truly feel the spirit of Christmas as we buy for others but nothing for us is under the Christmas tree.

On the years that we stay home we don't fall into the trap of buying tons of gifts for each child. Kimball and I observe our children and we buy two or three gifts max that we feel will benefit the child. Again during these years that we are at home the kids are not to tell use what they want for Christmas. This has created such a peace around the season.

So please know, that there are no hard feelings because we don't give gifts to get a gift in return. We give to bring joy to others. This is how we choose to keep the true meaning of Christmas alive in our home. Please Please don't ever think that we expect you to do the same or to view Christmas the way we do.


I want to add that I'm just naturally a gift giver. I love giving gifts. I love doing for others. It gives me great joy. This isn't just gifts of physical things, I love to give of my time and of my service. I have so many weaknesses and I lack in so many areas in my life but I do have charity on my side and I don't want anyone to ever feel guilty about me doing something for them because I'm also doing it for myself. :-)

3 comments:

Mel said...

You are such a giving person! That is a great quality and gift! I love to give too and I think your Christmas season sounds wonderful!!!

Laura said...

That is such a wonderful holiday tradition. It's also SO great to teach your kids to notice the needs of others. You're awesome!

Chris 'n Leah said...

Hey Lora, go to my blog and click on the "Patterson family" blog. She had a "Twillight" party that I think you would be crazy about. It isn't my thing but I know it's yours, thought you might get a kick out of it!