Friday, May 1, 2009

Baking Bread


I love baking bread. I try new recipes all the time because I'm trying to find the "perfect" loaf. I've found good ones but I don't know that I've found "the perfect" one yet. I'll keep trying until I do. I'm also trying to find the best roll and bread stick recipe. If you have any, please send them my way. :)

Getting recipes isn't my main reason for this post...it's about SLICING homemade bread. I hate the mess my kids make when slicing themselves off a piece. I hate that it's awkward to use homemade bread for sandwiches because the bread slices are different sizes. Please Please tell me there is a better way to handle the slicing of the bread. How do you do it? Please Please share cause all the crumbs on my kitchen floor is causing me to not want to bake bread ever again.

Love Homemade Bread....Hate the mess!!

5 comments:

Chris 'n Leah said...

My mom use to make homemade bread and we had a meat slicer that you could move how thick to slice things and she would use that to cut bread. It would be an investent but would slice your bread perfectly :)

Your loaf looks perfectly lovely and so does that slice, I can NEVER get it that thin!

Chris 'n Leah said...

Hey, I just emailed you so watch for it!

Laura said...

Let me know what you find out. Personally - I like to cut off a big hunk and slather it with butter or jam & eat away :)

Liesl said...

When I make bread, I don't even bother to cut it. I just rip off big chunks of it to eat. I know, I know. Not very civilized. But it is the fastest way to eat yummy, homemade bread!

Julie H. said...

Lora, I'm so happy to see you have pictures on here. Both the bread and cookies look yummy! I just thought I would suggest the possibility of taking them to your local grocery store to see if they would slice them. But that might be too inconvenient to have to "haul" them over to do that. But they also have, somewhere in kitchen supply stores a bread slicer. It has a place to put the bread down in the middle of it and then evenly space slats that you run your knife through so that you can cut them perfectly the same. I'll have to look for one online...or maybe you can! :)