Friday, March 6, 2009

An Emotional Beating

It's 2pm and I'm still crying..haven't really stopped since last night after dinner. One of my boys came to apologize to me for thoughts he's had about me!

He said "I've been thinking that I shouldn't have the thoughts I have about you. It's really not your fault that you can't be a normal mom. Normal moms don't expect their kids to do so many chores. "

"What? I'm confused sweetie, what do you mean normal?"

"Well, you work from home and you can't do what a mom is suppose to do."

"Help me understand here."

"I'm sure that if you didn't work at home you would do what normal moms do and not expect their kids to do all the work. You would cook and do the cleaning."

"I cook all the time, I don't get what you're saying. I clean all the time too so again I just don't understand."

"Well *******'s mom doesn't work so she gets up and makes a good breakfast for them, she makes his lunch and they always have dinner sitting on the table at a certain time each night."

*************************************

It only got worse.

I heard Kimball telling this child that he shouldn't have said any of those things because I'm always hard enough on myself. This child just doesn't understand why it would bother me, he was simply telling me that he understands and is going to be more "understanding" and not think the things he usually things about me because it's not my fault that I can't be a NORMAL mom.

************************************

This morning I called *******'s mom because we are friends and I asked her if her son had chores. NOPE, he doesn't. He just has to keep his bedroom clean. CRAP, that sure doesn't help my case.

During the summers I never make breakfast but during the school year I use to always get up and make the kids breakfast. This school year was different. I got right back into the same groove of getting up and making them breakfast as I always have but the boy started to complain about it. They told me how they just want cereal. That homemade breakfast makes them sick. So I stopped making it.

Preston and William eat school lunches and Justin, Joshua and Collin all have to bring or buy their lunch. They don't like sandwiches. I've tried. So I buy things that they can take. Microwave type meals that they can heat up at the school. They often forget to take something...I guess this is my fault. I should be putting an actual lunch together for them. Like a "normal" mom. Let's not forget that I use to do that but they complained about what I made.

I always cook dinner. Yes, sometimes I assign a kid to do it cause I don't want to and because I feel they need to learn this skill. And on nights that Kimball and I go out I tell them that it's a YoYo night which means "Your on Your own". That means they can have cup of noodles, cereal, frozen meal, left-overs or Justin can go pick up pizza but I don't plan anything and I'm not there to oversee any of it. I guess a "normal" mom wouldn't have YoYo dinners.

As for cleaning, I feel like I'm always cleaning. I spend at least an hour or two every single morning pick up and cleaning the messes the boys made getting ready for school. I do the laundry (unless I make the mistake of giving it as a ground to one of them).

A "normal" mom doesn't work. What? Where does he get this? Most of his friends mom's don't work, but give me a flippin break, I try to NEVER work when my kids are home. I do my work in the middle of the night to avoid taking away from them. But even if I did work during the day, I'm here for them. If they need something, I'm here.

I'm hard on myself, I don't need any help at knowing that I need to improve on many things. I always think I can do a better job at cleaning, at organizing, at spending more time with each of my kids, at my calling, at being a wife. I actually can't sleep at nights because when I lay down I think of all the things that I could be getting done instead of laying there wasting time sleeping.

My poor son has no idea how bad he's made me feel. He thinks he's being "understanding". For me, I'm destroyed to realize that my kids look at me and see me as lazy.

So I'm left not knowing where to go from here. Do I not give my kids chores? Should they only be in charge of keeping their rooms clean? Will this magically get them to keep their rooms clean?

I can't get myself to stop wondering if my kids think that I love them less because I'm not "normal". Do "normal" moms love their kids more? I know that I love my kids more than I can even express in words, they mean everything to me, but maybe, just maybe they think otherwise.

So what makes me different from a "normal" mom? Do I get rid of chores altogether? Do I start making breakfast in the morning even though they complain? Do I pack their lunches and just smile when they complain about what I made? Do I never have a YoYo dinner night? How do I teach my kids responsibility? How do I make sure that my sons know how to do things before leaving for their Missions? Do "normal" moms not care? So many questions and I don't know how to find the answers. Is praying going to make me "normal"? I know I'm the same I was before I started working at home. I'm the same person. I do the same things (besides staying up all night). I gave chores BEFORE I started working for myself. So have I never been "normal"?

This post probably makes no sense and it probably has a ton of rambling and I'm not going to go back and check. Sorry!! Maybe if I was "normal" I would, but I'm not "normal" I just needed to get it all out. Maybe when I can get myself to be "normal" I'll look back at this post fondly. NOT.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chris 'n Leah said...

There is a reason that children are called "children". They are young and RARELY appreciate the sacrafices & hard work of parenting until they themselves become parents. It takes a mission, marriage, and having children to help them realize just how hard it is. It is our job to train them up the way that they should go, to prepare them for the world. A parent who doesn't teach their children to do chores or cook is doing a GREAT diservice to them. And it is a diservice that they won't understand until they are fully grown.

Hang in there, you are raising wonderful children who will FULLY understand how wonderful their mother is when they are grown.

jewels said...

I agree with Leah, it is a disservice to children to not teach them responsibility. I have a husband who didn't have to do much and believe me it is hard. It teaches them to be wonderful husbands if they can help around the house and know how to do it. You are a wonderful mother. By the way we have cereal or sandwiches at least once a week.

Amber said...

I think children should pitch in and carry their load as part of the family for crying out loud!! My three year old has chores! I used to ask my mom why I had to dust, or vaccum, or help with dinner...she would tell me, "That's why I had children."
You are a great mom....and completely normal. Having expectations of your kids is a good thing!

Rebekah said...

I don't usually comment on people's blogs, I like to lurk but I had to respond to you this time. I think you are a wonderful mom. I also think I am a normal mom and my kids eat cereal for breakfast on weekdays. They have chores every day after school. I only cook 4-5 nights a week. On Young Women's night they always have a leftover night. In my opinion if your kids don't realize what you do it is because you are good at doing it when they are not around so that you have time to spend with them when they are home. I want you to know that I admire you and think that you are a fantastic person and very normal. Someday your kids will realize all the sacrifices you make for them. Hang in there and try not to feel to sad.

Cee Gee said...

My mom sometimes comes over and asks why my apartment is messy and I reply, "Because my slavery days are over!" As kids we were the slaves and someday when I have kids . . . they'll be slaves too. I know no better way to teach them responsibility and independence.
And if I were ever to have upset my mom by critizing her "mom" performance . . . my dad would've given me the "beating of my life." LOL

Laura said...

Lora - I have SO many opinions about this... You are a fantastic mom!! I FIRMLY believe that children having responsibilities around the house (both girls AND boys) is totally necessary!

And as for you child who said this -- sometimes Hailey will comment about me not having to do any chores, because I make her do them all.. This is her cop-out, and she tries to get me to feel guilty so she won't have to do them... yes, she's only 10, but she tries to manipulate! Once, she commented that I don't ever have clean socks for her and asked if I just decided to stop doing the laundry (snotty of course). So -- she came home and folded & put away piles and piles of laundry. Since then, she has yet to complain about the laundry. Children don't realize what they DON'T have to do -- they only feel put out when they have something to do.

So -- in closing (i know, i know) -- you're creating great husbands for some young ladies one day. It is SO necessary for boys to know how to take care of themselves, cook, clean up. THat's part of our job as parents to TEACH our parents important skills.

I know kids can make us feel like crap sometimes, but just remember - we can only do what we can do... we can't MAKE our kids see everything as it actually is.

You're great -- sorry you had such a run in :(

Lora said...

The reason the whole thing bothered me so badly was because this came from the one child that would NEVER say anything to hurt me. And he didn't say what he did to hurt me or to get out of doing something. He was trying to be "loving and understanding" but he didn't realize what he was saying was actually hurting me. Now that he knows, he's feeling pretty bad and says that I took it all wrong.

annette said...

NORMAL IS BORING!!!!! kids just don't get it. I would love to give my kids more to do maybe you can help me, and give me some pointers! please.